• My son has his interview for admission to prep school this week. Wish me luck.

• Russian hacker
    • Posted 01/10/2017 11:08 AM - Hide
    • Less than a 25% acceptance rate. Hard to believe there are so many people willing and able to spend over $50,000 a year for a private high school, but apparently there are.
        [ Quote ] | [ Quote All ]
    • Russian hacker
    • Re: My son has his interview for admission to prep school this week. Wish me luck.
      Posted 01/10/2017 11:16 AM - Hide
    • What a waste of money probably but good luck anyway
    • Russian hacker
    • Re: My son has his interview for admission to prep school this week. Wish me luck.
      Posted 01/10/2017 11:17 AM - Hide
    • JOIN THE MILITARY. YOU COULD BE HERO. OR CORPSE. OR BOTH.
    •   [ Quote ] | [ Quote All ]
    • Russian hacker
      Posted 01/10/2017 11:19 AM - Hide
    • . posted:
      What a waste of money probably but good luck anyway

It might be a waste of money but graduates of the school are excellent writers. Prep school assures you of that.
    • Russian hacker
      Posted 01/10/2017 11:20 AM - Hide
    • . posted:
      It might be a waste of money but graduates of the school are excellent writers. Prep school assures you of that.

I wipe my azz with your literature.
    • Russian hacker
      Posted 01/10/2017 11:24 AM - Hide
    • Writing is a valuable skill that most college graduates don't do well. It is used daily and sets you apart from the pack quickly.
    • Russian hacker
      Posted 01/10/2017 12:52 PM - Hide
    • Deerfield?
    • Russian hacker
      Posted 01/10/2017 01:54 PM - Hide
    • I attended interviews with my daughter at Choate, Deerfield and Andover. My wife went with her to Exeter and St. Paul's (her alma mater...).

Ultimately, she went to Exeter.

Let your kid do the talking, and make sure he takes the initiative of asking intelligent questions about the school, especially in the areas he's interested. Make sure he knows the history of the school, even if it's never discussed. Does he have a long range goal, and how can the school prepare him for that? Shit like that...

If he does a tour of the campus with a student docent, tell him not to be overly chummy with the guide. Good honest questions. Act impressed.

You should be in the background, always.
    • Russian hacker
      Posted 01/10/2017 03:39 PM - Hide
    • Thank you for your advice. Are the interviews with the students alone or with the family together?
    • Russian hacker
      Posted 01/11/2017 05:42 PM - Hide
    • Thought it went well. In about a month I will learn if my son is good enough to give me the privilege of paying $55,000 for his first year of high school. Still not sold on the whole concept. Seems better to save the $220,000 cost of a private high school, get him into a top state school such as UM or UVA and allocate the funds to graduate school and a nice slug of a down payment on an apartment.
    • Russian hacker
      Posted 01/11/2017 05:44 PM - Hide
    • . posted:
      Writing is a valuable skill that most college graduates don't do well. It is used daily and sets you apart from the pack quickly.

nonsense. english writing and speaking skills are useless. Only low low salary is "talent". See H1B employment.
    • Russian hacker
      Posted 01/11/2017 05:45 PM - Hide
    • . posted:
      Thought it went well. In about a month I will learn if my son is good enough to give me the privilege of paying $55,000 for his first year of high school. Still not sold on the whole concept. Seems better to save the $220,000 cost of a private high school, get him into a top state school such as UM or UVA and allocate the funds to graduate school and a nice slug of a down payment on an apartment.

$220K high school is good entrance to the $350K college and then $200K grad school. Afterward, unless you graduate in law review, you may get a job at Starbuck's.
    • Russian hacker
      Posted 01/11/2017 05:48 PM - Hide
    • . posted:
      $220K high school is good entrance to the $350K college and then $200K grad school. Afterward, unless you graduate in law review, you may get a job at Starbuck's.

Well, my son is highly interested in transgender studies, and Deerfield is the only high school in the country with a program. It will be worth the cost of admission to get xir the education xhe needs.
    • Russian hacker
      Posted 01/11/2017 05:51 PM - Hide
    • Russian hacker
      Posted 01/11/2017 05:54 PM - Hide
    • I went to an exclusive prep school and I am a better writer and make more money than most people! :wave:

Almost everyone from my class is very successful. Heads of departments at top hospitals. Partners at white-shoe firms.
    • Russian hacker
      Posted 01/11/2017 05:58 PM - Hide
    • Big law is a never ending pie eating contest in which the winner is awarded more pie. Truly a trade for masochists. :lol:
    • Russian hacker
      Posted 01/11/2017 06:07 PM - Hide
    • . posted:
      Thank you for your advice. Are the interviews with the students alone or with the family together?

Most of the time they'll interview the kid, then bring the parent in. At one school, the interview was with the Admissions person and the Girl's Lacrosse Coach, who tried recruiting my kid.

Admissions are there to sell the school, too, especially when the kid has affluent parents and potential donors.
    • Russian hacker
      Posted 01/11/2017 06:09 PM - Hide
    • . posted:
      Most of the time they'll interview the kid, then bring the parent in. At one school, the interview was with the Admissions person and the Girl's Lacrosse Coach, who tried recruiting my kid.

Admissions are there to sell the school, too, especially when the kid has affluent parents and potential donors.

My son is openly gay. Do you think that will weigh against him?
    • Russian hacker
      Posted 01/11/2017 06:10 PM - Hide
    • . posted:
      Big law is a never ending pie eating contest in which the winner is awarded more pie. Truly a trade for masochists. :lol:

I'm in-house, so hard to relate, but my peers at Big Law have unrivaled job security (decades) and benefits (in-office gyms, million$ etc.)
    • Russian hacker
      Posted 01/11/2017 06:21 PM - Hide
    • . posted:
      . posted:
      Big law is a never ending pie eating contest in which the winner is awarded more pie. Truly a trade for masochists. :lol:

I'm in-house, so hard to relate, but my peers at Big Law have unrivaled job security (decades) and benefits (in-office gyms, million$ etc.)

Big law doesn't have the job security it once had. You bill and bill and bill and later bring in new clients or you are gone.
    • Russian hacker
      Posted 01/11/2017 06:25 PM - Hide
    • . posted:
      Big law doesn't have the job security it once had. You bill and bill and bill and later bring in new clients or you are gone.

Sure, but take the local managing partner, for, say, Sidley. She's been in the job for years and years and is wealthy beyond measure.

I'm aware of the long hours and stress, but let's not fool one another: most people would take the work if they could get it.

I was invited to interview as 'Special Counsel' or 'Of Counsel' at a big firm (local but a powerhouse). Now that I did not do. It wasn't that much more and the variable component (i.e. the bringing in of business) would have meant I was hustling when I wasn't working.
    • Russian hacker
      Posted 01/11/2017 06:28 PM - Hide
    • . posted:
      . posted:

Sure, but take the local managing partner, for, say, Sidley. She's been in the job for years and years and is wealthy beyond measure.

I'm aware of the long hours and stress, but let's not fool one another: most people would take the work if they could get it.

I was invited to interview as 'Special Counsel' or 'Of Counsel' at a big firm (local but a powerhouse). Now that I did not do. It wasn't that much more and the variable component (i.e. the bringing in of business) would have meant I was hustling when I wasn't working.

I have read too many horror stories on abovethelaw.com and know too many divorced and/or alcoholic lawyers to change my mind. Brutal way to spend your limited time on earth. Lawyers are the tail, not the dog.
    • Russian hacker
      Posted 01/11/2017 08:06 PM - Hide
    • . posted:
      My son is openly gay. Do you think that will weigh against him?

No. In fact, openly gay is preferred.
    • Russian hacker
      Posted 01/11/2017 10:13 PM - Hide
    • :lol:
    • Russian hacker
      Posted 01/11/2017 10:15 PM - Hide
    • Wow. That is a hefty tuition. Some may say crazy. Your child had better be brilliant.
  • Join the discussion - There is no registration required!

Name: (Optional)
Save
Photo: (Optional)

If you want to embed media, just paste YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter, Instagram, Vine, Liveleak, Imgur (IMAGE or GIFV) links and they'll auto embed.